This Leader Spotlight is a long time coming. Judy King has been a key member of Kidz Community for over two decades.
Current Kidz Community Role: Judy is the Kidz Community Preschool Director
How long she has served in Kidz Community: Judy has worked with Kidz Community for over 20 years!
What keeps her busy outside of church: Although retired as a registered nurse, she is busier than ever. As well as an officer with the Elizabeth City Elks Club, Judy also has a small business making doggie treats, scarves and blankets that she sell at the Farmers Market during the summer.
- What’s your favorite family tradition? One of my favorite family traditions is baking Christmas cookies from my mother’s recipes. My two favorites are Gingerbread Cookies and Butter Cookies. It isn’t Christmas without these two. Another favorite tradition is placing baby Jesus in his manger. When I set up my manger set, Baby Jesus is safely tucked away until Christmas day. Then before any gifts are opened, one of my girls places Him in the manger. (I just don’t put him somewhere without telling my husband, David or my daughter, Nancy where he is. He could be lost forever if the old memory fails!)
- What is your favorite family vacation? I have loved our two trips to Europe. First with David, and then last year with David and Nancy. However, I think my favorite vacations were the times my adoptive parents, brother and I went camping in Yosemite, Yellowstone and Grand Tetons parks when I was a teenager. I loved the campfires, being out in nature and seeing the amazing things God created and just being together.
- What is the best gift you have been given? The best gift I ever received was a grandfather clock I gave myself. It was in honor of my adoptive mother that died in 1981. I love these kinds of clocks and I knew she did too. This clock has traveled with me through two moves in Pennsylvania and three in North Carolina. Another favorite gift was a surprise trip to Europe for my birthday by David and the girls. It was David’s and my first trip abroad seeing amazing places like Vienna, Prague and Scotland. They were all very good at keeping a secret!
Here is what Judy said she loves most about being a part of the Kidz Community team:
“One of the things I love about being apart of Kidz Community is to see how the kids grow from newborn up through the youth and at the same time growing in their knowledge, love and understanding of God and then accepting him as their savior. It is also a wonderful thing to see them come back into our family serving in some capacity as an adult, such as my daughter, Nancy, or while in Jr. or Sr. high.
I also love our team. They are caring, nurturing people who have a passion for our kids to see their faith grow as they learn about our God. I love being apart of that!”
Judy, thank you so much for your dedication, love and decades of teaching our little ones.
Our latest Kidz Community leader spotlight falls on Lois Pereira
Current Kidz Community role: Lois is a Group Helper in the 1 & 2 year old preschool room at the 11am service.
How long she has served in Kidz Community: She has received her 2 year pin!
What keeps her busy outside of church: Lois is self-employed cleaning private homes and offices.
- What is your favorite food? Salmon
- What is your favorite holiday? Thanksgiving
- What is your proudest accomplishment? My proudest accomplishment is accepting the Lord as my personal Savior and trying to live as He wants me to – even if I don’t like it!
- Where are you from and how did you get to North Carolina? I’m from Pennsylvania, but I moved to North Carolina to be near my daughter, Virginia Madden and husband Kent. But especially to be close to my grandchildren, Michaela and Buddy Madden.
- What would you do if you won the lottery? Donate to the Lord’s works, church and charities. I would give to my grandchildren, my great, granddaughter and travel, travel, travel.
Here is what Lois said she loves most about being a part of the Kidz Community team:
“I love seeing the children as they grow and accepting the staff’s teachings.”
Thank you Lois for showing our little ones so much love!
Our latest Kidz Community leader spotlight shines on Louise Jordan!
Current Kidz Community role: Louise plays an incredibly important role on our team. She assists in the 3-5 year old class where her high energy and loving patience are in great demand.
How long she has served in Kidz Community: She has served about six months.
What keeps her busy outside of church: Louise is the Broker-in-Charge and Vice President of Jordan Realty Corp. Also mother to five and grandmother to many.
- What is your favorite childhood memory? Going with my grandmother (Mother’s mother) to Florence, SC every summer as a small child and visiting relatives who owned a large plantation home with live oaks branches reaching all the way to the ground. I churned butter, fed chickens, collected eggs and climbed trees.
- What would you sing at Karaoke night? I would probably consider lots of songs from the list and decided not to sing.
- What is the most interesting place you’ve visited? I have traveled to many countries in Europe. The people are pretty much the same in Germany, France, Spain, England, Ireland, and other countries in Europe. But the people of Haiti…they’re different. They don’t have the things we take for granted. They don’t have water flowing in their homes and the water they walk to get isn’t pure. They have small homes in very poor condition with no air conditioning. They walk everywhere because they don’t have even one car per family unlike most of us who have several. But that’s not how the people of Haiti are different. The people of Haiti are truly thankful for what they have. They are always smiling when you say hello and when they worship, they aren’t looking at their watches in a hurry to finish. The people of Haiti stole my heart like no other people anywhere I have been. They need help and it is a privilege to give even a little of my time to do that.
Here is what Louise said she loves most about being a part of the Kidz Community team:
“I love being with kids of all ages and watching them grow both physically and spiritually.”
Thank you Louise for all the energy and warmth you bring to the team!
Our latest Kidz Community leader spotlight falls on De McNulty!
Current Kidz Community role: De plays an incredibly important role on our team. As a Nursery Worker, she provides safe and loving care to the newborns and babies in Kidz Community.
How long she has served in Kidz Community: She has served a little over a year.
What keeps her busy outside of church: De is a wife, step-mother and stays very busy caring for her family. She loves to volunteer at JAM (Just Among Moms), taking care of children in the nursery.
- How many states have you visited? My dad was in the U. S. Army for over 30 years, so we moved around A LOT. I’ve visited about 11 states.
- What is your favorite flavor of ice cream? Anything chocolate!
- Is there something we may not know about you? I am twin. Lee Ann Hinton is my other half.
Here is what De said she loves most about being a part of the Kidz Community team:
“I believe in our mission statement so much: “Partnering with families to propel kids faith.” That’s what it’s all about! Showing and teaching God’s love. What a wonderful journey we are all on with God by our side. I feel so blessed to be a part of the Kidz Community Teams’ mission. To receive the unconditional love that the kids show me is priceless and very rewarding.”
De brings a lot of energy and warmth to the team!
Our latest Kidz Community leader spotlight falls on Patti Young!
Current Kidz Community role: Patti plays an incredibly important role on our team – she pinch hits for our Check-in Specialists that are on vacation.
How long she has served in Kidz Community: She has served almost 5 years!
What keeps her busy outside of church: Patti has two great kids, Keyton and JP. She is also the Regional Manager for B.E.S.T. Autism Services; Behavior Analyst.
- What place is at the top of your Bucket List to visit? Sedona, Arizona – going for Christmas with my mom – super excited; after that Alsace Lorraine (France).
- If you had to pick one food to eat for the rest of your life, what would it be? Ice cream and coffee.
- Does your definition of “camping” involve a tent, an RV, or a hotel? RV preferred, but usually have to tent it.
Here is what Patti said she loves most about being a part of the Kidz Community team:
“Seeing the kids grow in their love and trust of Jesus Christ, being part of a dynamic team that loves and cares about each of these kids and their families, as well as one another.”
Patti brings a lot of love and warmth to the team!
Here comes Sheri Proctor!
Current Kidz Community role: Sheri is the Group Leader in the 3-5 year old preschool room for the 11am service. This means she gets to fuel wonder for God’s truth each Sunday while also injecting energy and excitement.
How long she has served in Kidz Community: Sheri has been a part of this ministry for over 13 years! (That’s no typo.) Check out the star on her Kidz Community tshirt on Sunday. Her experience with children extends way beyond that.
What keeps her busy outside of church: She likes to spend time with her friends and family. Loves to read, cook, and quilt.
- What is your favorite month of the year and why? May is my favorite month. It is sunny, warm, and you can be outside all day long!!
- Who is the most famous person you’ve met? The most famous person I have ever met is Disney animator, Michael Cedeno, an animator for Belle and Aladdin.
- Would you rather not eat for three days or not sleep for three days? It would be safer for the world if I skipped food for three days. Not sleeping for three days would be VERY bad. I get really cranky.
This is what Sheri loves most about being a part of the Kidz Community team:
“I love being a part of the ‘green’ team because they are a group of people who believe in the joy of sharing their faith with the next generation. And Ms. Le Ann always has candy.”
Sheri, thank you for being such a faithful member of the team!
How long he has served at New Community: Over 3 years.
What keeps him busy outside of church: His favorite time of the day is when he leaves work and gets home so he can spend time with his family. His evenings and weekends are spent figuring out how to be a better husband and father.
- What was your worst food experience? It would have to have been when I ate deviled eggs at a family reunion when I was a teenager. They were truly “deviled” (aka “of the devil”) because after eating them, a toilet and trash can were needed at the same time.
- What is the first place listed on your bucket list? Anywhere where the sky is blue, the sun is hot, and the water is clear.
- Would you rather have five bottles stuck on the fingers of one hand for a year, or a bucket stuck on your foot for a year? I’d take the bottles on one hand. It would be hard to sneak up on my daughters if I had a bucket stuck on one of my feet.